Usually Life throws those curve balls at me, so I decided to switch that up. I have done something new and completely out of character for myself, as an experiment, to see what happens.
I joined a fitness club! What??? Yes I did.
It is called Curves and is only for women. You go for 30 minutes a day, as many days a week as you can. You do cardio and hydraulic resistance machines in a circuit, and the machines chart your progress on a little computer key card and keep you working towards a goal. I had my consultation yesterday and today is my first workout, and I am surprised to find that I am looking forward to it.
My primary goal is to get stronger, secondary is to lose some weight. I am so close to a healthy BMI now and I so badly want that Wii Fit character to announce I am normal and not overweight. With everything else abnormal, that would be a huge accomplishment and such a comfort. I am hopeful that I can get stronger and maybe life won’t hurt so much, like if my muscles are stronger maybe I won’t pull my back and joints out of place so easily and suffer for days because I did something so crazy as lift a laundry basket.
Why I think this program will work for me, why I chose it out of the many options:
- It is only for women, huge comfort in that
- It is highly structured
- It is highly varied, I never do the same thing for more than 60 seconds (ADD heaven!)
- Positive and supportive atmosphere – everyone there chose to be there to get healthier
- The women come in and are focused, minimal chit chat
- No locker room, get in and out, no nakedness, and also minimal chit chat
- It is close to my home
- It is far enough away from home that I will not be a hermit
- It is expensive – I will go as much as possible so I don’t feel like I wasted money
- I enjoy my Wii Fit time everyday and wanted to add weights
- I don’t want to be like my older female relatives, overweight, have huge amounts of pain, bone density loss, diabetes, and flappy underarms, so I need to get off that path right now
- I want to feel proud of myself and chart my progress with measurable numbers
- I am doing this for me, because I want to take care of me
- Hubby is on board and ready to be here with kids
- They let me sign up for 1 month, no contract
- It is low impact, easy on my knees and back
- I saw women in their 60’s doing it, so I should be able to manage
- I also saw women in their 20’s doing it, and getting out what they put it
- I’m ready to feel the burn!
- I’m ready to kick some butt!
- I’m ready to have a cute butt! (blush)
Watch out Life, here I come (cue some sort of Rocky type of theme music here)
Disclaimer – (No, I am not as excited as all of this, I wish I was. I actually feel kind of meh, kind of blah, very tired, and actively squashing doubts and battling anxiety. But I am going to do this anyway and see what happens. I’m trying this motivated me on for size. I am going to give it my all for 1 month, hopefully more, but I built in a limit to get myself to do it.)